Every year I meet new neat people, and I’m so happy you’re stopping by to visit.
This blog is about stories, writing, and ideas.
It’s also the story of me writing my first novel.
Based on a little-known folktale, it’s the story of a young woman who risks marrying a “beast” in order to escape her abusive step-mother. She disenchants a good man, but her happily-ever-after is interrupted when her new husband must undertake a quest, leaving her alone to face new monsters.
I’m fascinated with getting inside other people’s heads and figuring out how they think; it’s one of my favorite things about noveling. Perhaps as a result I am very transparent with my own thought processes and that’s what ends up on this blog: “Thinking out-loud.”
This week I’ve got a line-up of posts to give you a survey of how I think, a bit of the variety I cover, and a book or two to sign up for each day of the party. (I collect and share books constantly.)
- Writing advice for the beginning novelist (and did you ever wonder the difference between blogging and writing a book?)
- Giving away Bird by Bird
- A question I had to work out for my own novel
- Giving away two of my favorite fairy tale novelizations
- A comparison of old and new tellings of traditional tales
- Giving away a book of tales and a small folklore encyclopedia
- And more– (including my favorite advice for moms)– something new each day with a corresponding book giveaway
So if a patchwork of ideas interests you (and/or you want to check out the daily posts for a new book or two) stop back by.
Sign-ups for the giveaways start Saturday the 21st: I was initially allowing four days to sign up for each selection, but a friend more experienced in giveaways said I ought to allow at least a week, so that’s what you’ll have: One week to sign-up for each book (I’ll post the winner at the bottom of the comments when each sign-up closes.)
The links along the top and sides will tell you all you need to know about me and Untangling, and give you a fair idea of the forest you have stumbled into.
I hope you enjoy your time here,