As we push into our… 3rd week, is it(?) of -40° here’s a picture from my bedroom.
That was solid frost on the left corner, but I broke the hole there in getting the curtain loose for the picture.
I agree with whoever it was that said “People who complain about the cold are really just bragging they survived it.”
And as part of my brag I wanted to point out the ways in which this cold snap (that may be record-making– I’ll know in a week or two) really isn’t as horrible as it could be.
- Except for Jay, we are a stay-at-home family. We don’t have to cram tired children into snowsuits at any rigid time.
- We have a garage. I never knew before we lived here how it completely would change my view of cold weather activity and living.
- Fuel costs are down. Heating oil was up above $5/gallon at one point
- Just this fall we had our house checked and we are at a higher fuel efficiency and level of weatherization than most of Fairbanks. I attribute this both to having a newer house– an interesting story for another day– and having a smaller home.
- We had a solid collection of snowfall before the temp dropped, so the plants have good coverage. I remember the last time we had a really cold stretch with minimal coverage and it was very hard on the green.
- The green is apparently more hearty than the bugs, because these cold stretches are an efficient killer of the limited ickys we have here. It was a couple/three years ago that we had a record-scary summer for wasps (two deaths, lots of ER visits). It was directly attributed to a string of mild winters. Whispers and fingers pointed to this latest evidence for Global Warming. I wonder what they’re saying now…
- How cool is it that the 50th anniversary of statehood be commemorated by a historic(ish) cold stretch? At least, since it’s not up to me I can try to think of it that way.
I’m with you on the bug-killing cold thing. I love it here when the winter gets cold enough to kill them. I hate bugs.
Way to look on the bright side.
On the other hand, I have a garage that is of no use to me as a cold saver. I should clean it out.